Night Navigation Course – August 7-9, 2020Sold by: Southern Ocean Co.
380,00 € /person
Ever tried to figure out how ships are moving at night based on their navigational lights? How does a watch keeping rota work? How about safety at night? How to do sail changes seamlessly in pitch dark?
All these questions and lots more will find their answers at our Night Navigation Course in October.
This course takes you far away from the usual classroom environment to a place where things actually matter and consequences can be dire for any mistake. Training in a live environment is crucial for people to understand the far leap between a controlled to a live situation with all variables that come with it. Here you learn to understand the true functions and measures to be taken for a safe passage, instead of just ticking of all the boxes what to buy to improve safety at the chandlers.
The main content of the course:
- Basic night watch skills
- Use of radar, AIS, EPIRB and the proper use of VHF
- Man Over Board (MOB) training
- Use of life raft – launch, storage and grab bag
- Establishing a functioning watch rota and routines
- Personal safety and consciousness of environment
- Attitudes, policies, tradition and other perceptions
- How to approach and enter a harbour at night
- Friday at 19.00 leave Helsinki
- Night sail I
- Saturday at 12.00 arrival to port (new)
- Saturday at 19.00 leave port
- Night sail II
- Sunday at 12.00 arrive to Helsinki
- full board
- all personal safety gear
- training as detailed above
Don’t forget to bring your passport!
8 in stock
Information for participants
Helsinki, Valkosaari, Friday, August 5, 2020, 19:00 (7PM)
Helsinki, Valkosaari, Sunday, August 7, 2020, 12:00 (noon)
- Proper cold weather clothing, remember that the Gulf of Finland is still chilly in May. Rain gear as appropriate, check the weather forecast.
- Headgear, sun glasses and warm gloves
- Sailing gloves
- Passport (the stop-over harbor can be in Estonia which requires that everyone one entering has a passport)
Information about s/y Eira
Eira is a 51 foot performance cruiser built by the famous Nautor shipyard in Pietarsaari, Finland. Designed by German Fres and launched in 1981, she is an icon of her era.
|Length overall||15.62m / 51.25′|
|Beam||4.49m / 14.73′|
|Draft||2.70m / 8.9′|
SOC provides a chance to go sailing one of the legends of the seas, on the Nautor's Swan 51 s/y Eira bluewater yacht. We offer packages and taylormade sailing opportunities for companies and individuals onboard s/y Eira.
Eira is a fast powerful ocean cruiser/racer that has done 26 Atlantic crossings, six under the current ownership. She is exactly what it says on the tin and feeling her throw her weight around under your precise command behind the wheel is something every sailor and landlubber to become sailor should feel at least once. With her gracious interior and welcoming cabins she makes a perfect home for a longer stay, let alone a weekend out with good company that all feel hungry for that "little more".
Professionally run and with the guidance of a captain that has sailed more than 60 000 sea miles with her you can be assure to get all your questions answered and a helping hand on what ever your task is onboard. The crew usually consists of different nationalities which gives a nice international touch to the operation. We are proud to offer you a place onboard and are ready to answer all your questions pre-travel as well as welcome you to visit us at our homeport in Helsinki to get a first glimpse what its all about.